* * * * * 2 votes

The C60 Hair Tonic Thread

hair c60

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

There have been several anecdotal reports of people re-growing hair after taking c60. There has also been a scientific study or two. Being that I am currently balding and this is putting a major dent in my plans to look young for as long as possible, and I'm not interested in taking finastride, I am currently trialing my Vaughner C60 oil as a hair tonic.

My protocol is a drop a week on the scalp (5mg?) throughly rubbing it into my balding spots with my fingertips.

Previous thread where hair regrowth is mentioned: http://www.longecity...creased-idiocy/

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19223242

Nanomedicine. 2009 Jun;5(2):202-7. Epub 2009 Feb 14.
Fullerene nanomaterials potentiate hair growth.
Zhou Z, Lenk R, Dellinger A, MacFarland D, Kumar K, Wilson SR, Kepley CL.
Source
Luna nanoWorks, a division of Luna Innovations Incorporated, Danville, Virginia, USA.
Abstract
Hair loss is a common symptom resulting from a wide range of disease processes and can lead to stress in affected individuals. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of fullerene nanomaterials on hair growth. We used shaved mice as well as SKH-1 "bald" mice to determine if fullerene-based compounds could affect hair growth and hair follicle numbers. In shaved mice, fullerenes increase the rate of hair growth as compared with mice receiving vehicle only. In SKH-1 hairless mice fullerene derivatives given topically or subdermally markedly increased hair growth. This was paralleled by a significant increase in the number of hair follicles in fullerene-treated mice as compared with those mice treated with vehicle only. The fullerenes also increased hair growth in human skin sections maintained in culture. These studies have wide-ranging implications for those conditions leading to hair loss, including alopecia, chemotherapy, and reactions to various chemicals. PMID: 19223242 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Almost too good to be true?

Anyway, I started this last night and today I didn't find any hairs on my comb today when I usually pull a few out.

So far so good.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 12 October 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

My protocol is a drop a week on the scalp (5mg?) throughly rubbing it into my balding spots with my fingertips.

Almost too good to be true?

Anyway, I started this last night and today I didn't find any hairs on my comb today when I usually pull a few out.

So far so good.

Great! This will tell us if the topical route alone works. I tried it both orally (mostly) and topically (2 or 3 times) and grew quite a bit of hair, but obviously I can't say which route was most effective. I find it hard to believe that topical would work at all because of the size of the molecule, but C60 is full of surprises.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

I seem to remember a study saying this only starts to work after 10 weeks of daily application?

#4 bernard

• 355 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'm also interested in how much should be taken orally ?

#5 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

I seem to remember a study saying this only starts to work after 10 weeks of daily application?

Can you find that article?

I was taking it orally so it might be different, but when I first noticed the occipital growth it was around 4 weeks. It was already quite long by that time--4 weeks worth--so it might have begun immediately. It was a surprise as I wasn't expecting it and hadn't yet seen the research.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 12 October 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#6 bernard

• 355 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

I was taking it orally so it might be different, but when I first noticed the occipital growth it was around 4 weeks. It was already quite long by that time--4 weeks worth--so it might have begun immediately. It was a surprise as I wasn't expecting it and hadn't yet seen the research.

Can we assume that 10mg/day is the required dose for hair regrowth ?

#7 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Just from my experience, I'd say that's a reasonable dose. A few days at 10/mg and then take it intermittently. By intermittently I mean a day or two and then a week or two off. This is not something for every day use, in my opinion.
  • like x 1

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

It's hard to say. For the ROS-mediated effects of c60, it looks like the necessary daily dose is less than a milligram. I have no idea if that's the mechanism for the hair growth effect, however. If that effect is instead due to binding to a protein receptor, the dose might be considerably higher.

Turnbuckle, what were you taking in the first month?

#9 bernard

• 355 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

It's hard to say. For the ROS-mediated effects of c60, it looks like the necessary daily dose is less than a milligram. I have no idea if that's the mechanism for the hair growth effect, however. If that effect is instead due to binding to a protein receptor, the dose might be considerably higher.

C60oo is really inexpensive but at the same time I would feel anxious to use a full 45mg bottle per day for example.

#10 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

You could very well be right about the dosage. I'm taking 15 mg now (experimentally, and only once a week) and have taken as much as 30 a couple of times, but when I noticed the hair growth I was taking 2.5 to 7.5. So 10 mg would seem more than enough.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 12 October 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#11 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

How much hair growth are we talking about? Is it like: my bald spot is gone? or is it more like: Hmm.. I notice a few more hairs maybe...

#12 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

How much hair growth are we talking about? Is it like: my bald spot is gone? or is it more like: Hmm.. I notice a few more hairs maybe...

I had a bald spot in the back that was about the size of my palm. This has recovered to the point that it's no longer visible in a security camera display at a local fast food restaurant, but is visible as thinning when wet or under bright light. It's about where it was 20 years ago. My guess is that miniaturized follicles have recovered, but dead follicles have not.

#13 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

I am afraid I cannot Turnbuckle. Sorry.
I think it was this study that confused my my terrible memory:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21137794
My apologies.

#14 kim888

• 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I'm not familiar with setting up trials so my information is purely anecdotal.

I've been trialing vaughter's C60 1.5 mg daily for nearly 3 weeks. I've been following along for most of that time . Today I will chime in.
I'm a 56 year old female post menopausal and in good health. In the summer of 2011 the Herpes Zoster Virus awakened in the 1st trigeminal branch on my right side. After 14 months I continue to suffer numbness, itching in the eye lid, brow and scalp. I still have two spots that continue to crust over in the back of my scalp. Those same areas left me bald because of the scabbing and, no doubt the incessant itching. After the 2nd and 3rd weeks I noticed hair growth
in those spots. Today I have nearly 2 inches of growth that has filled in those bald spots. Objectively I have asked myself is this from the persistent itching that has stimulated the hair growth or is it the C60? If it is from the peristent stimulation caused by the itching, then it's safe to say that for me hair regrowth with stimulation alone would have taken me 14 months. Or stimulation combined with C60 caused hair growth after 3 weeks?

Edited by kim888, 15 October 2012 - 02:15 PM.

• like x 1

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

I've been trialing vaughter's C60 1.5 mg daily for nearly 3 weeks. I've been following along for most of that time . Today I will chime in.
I'm a 56 year old female post menopausal and in good health. In the summer of 2011 the Herpes Zoster Virus awakened in the 1st trigeminal branch on my right side. After 14 months I continue to suffer numbness, itching in the eye lid, brow and scalp. I still have two spots that continue to crust over in the back of my scalp. Those same areas left me bald because of the scabbing and, no doubt the incessant itching. After the 2nd and 3rd weeks I noticed hair growth
in those spots. Today I have nearly 2 inches of growth that has filled in those bald spots. Objectively I have asked myself is this from the persistent itching that has stimulated the hair growth or is it the C60? If it is from the peristent stimulation caused by the itching, then it's safe to say that for me hair regrowth with stimulation alone would have taken me 14 months. Or stimulation combined with C60 caused hair growth after 3 weeks?

By "itching", do you mean scratching? Itching is the feeling that makes you want to scratch, and is essentially a sign of inflammation. I think what has happened here is that C60 interfered with the reactive oxygen species (ROS) that are mediators of chronic inflammation. Once the inflammatory spiral calmed down, your hair was able to grow again. Two inches of growth in only three weeks is about five times the normal rate of hair lengthening, so that's kind of weird. Do you mean a spot two inches wide? Two inches of length is seriously weird.

Did you ever try any other drugs for the scalp problem? Topical steroids, perhaps?

How's the condition of your scalp now? Did the scabbing and itching subside?

Edited by niner, 15 October 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#16 kim888

• 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yes, I do mean scratching. I've been told this is from the nerve damage or nerves healing. After awhile it doesn't matter which it is, in the sense that it is bothersome either way.

I should have been more explicit in my discription of the hair growth. The area of growth is two circular spots about the size of a nickle or adult thumb nail. However, the hair growth if I pull it up is about 2 inches. I have not used any topical steriods. I do take benedryl to help stop the need to scratch.

#17 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Yes, I do mean scratching. I've been told this is from the nerve damage or nerves healing. After awhile it doesn't matter which it is, in the sense that it is bothersome either way.

I should have been more explicit in my discription of the hair growth. The area of growth is two circular spots about the size of a nickle or adult thumb nail. However, the hair growth if I pull it up is about 2 inches. I have not used any topical steriods. I do take benedryl to help stop the need to scratch.

So it's more of a neuropathic itch. The scratching may be leading to inflammation though, particularly if you'd been getting scabs. Alternatively, there may be a completely different mechanism at work. Well, it's a great outcome that you're getting hair growth now!

Two questions:

Does it still itch?

Does your hair normally grow super fast? (2 inches in 3 weeks?)

Edited by niner, 15 October 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#18 kim888

• 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yes, Post Herpetic Neuralgia or PHN associated with the Shingles. The overall length of my hair is not showing significant growth and usually isn't fast growing. It was exciting to see hair growing in these ravaged spots.

#19 kim888

• 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

The itching has not fully subsided. But does seem to be more apparent at the end of a day that has been stressful.
The one and a half remaining scabs have not fully disappeared. However, as mentioned there is hair present that I thought might not grow back. and it's quite thick in that spot.

Edited by kim888, 15 October 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#20 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

Well I am a great test for this, Im bald as a mofo, wear an expensive wig that I change every two months..

Im 3 quarters of the way through a bottle of vaughter's C60. My hair on the sides really seems to be growing faster and I am itchy under my wig and regularly scratch the lace to relieve this, I have never been itchy like that before.

I have used every single kind of hairloss drug known.. started balding at 19yo went downhill fast, grew most of it back with retin-a/5mg finas/spiro/4ml minox.. that is using minoxidil to the point of getting dizzy when standing up and finastraside to the point of mild gyno. I hung onto my hair for 10yrs until I lost all my money and took a two year break from meds.
I was a norwood 2 and now would defiantly be nw5.

Hairloss forums are full of people that are experiancing fast hairgrowth and vellus hairs from whatever the latest things in hair meds are.. so it will be interesting to see if this stuff can grow hair.

I take absolutely no sups or anything at the moment except c60.
  • Informative x 1

#21 kim888

• 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

I've been reading everyones posts from each of the C60 forums. Other than noticing a little extra energy since taking the C60 it was most the hair that caught my attention. I had really thought the nerve damage might keep it from growing back especially since I had scratched the scabbed area repeatedly.
Now feeling confident that it has grown back I will begin to document and pay attention to other aspects of using the C60. I don't have the where with all to actually have tests run in order to track my blood work. So, my contribution here will be only anecdotal. Which I hope with still be somewhat useful.

#22 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

Yes, Post Herpetic Neuralgia or PHN associated with the Shingles. The overall length of my hair is not showing significant growth and usually isn't fast growing. It was exciting to see hair growing in these ravaged spots.

Just FYI, since I've been taking enough vitamin D3 to get my OH-vitamin D blood level above 40 ng/mL - about three years - I've only had two small zit-sized oral herpes outbreaks, the last one about six months ago. And they disappeared in 3 - 4 days. They might not have even been herpes, but they itched like herpes, so I assume that they were.

It took 6,000 IU of vitamin D/day to get my blood vitamin D above 40 ng, which is when I noticed this big reduction in outbreaks.

I'm taking 11,000 IU/day now and my blood level is 60, which some consider to be ideal for immune strength.

It used to be that if I didn't get enough sleep for two or three days I'd have an outbreak, even a small one.

Whether it is the vitamin D or not, I'm not taking anything else as consistently that I know of that could have had such an effect on bringing herpes outbreaks down to almost nothing. And I have had some periods where I didn't get enough sleep where I would have expected to have an outbreak.

And it seems like my immune response is even stronger taking 11,000 IU/day.
  • Informative x 1

#23 kim888

• 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

I was taking D3 at 6 drops a day. I probably need to visit this again now that fall is here and sunlight and time outdoors is at a minimum.
I commute 4 hours a day. I don't usually sleep through the night unless I'm at the point of exhaustion.

#24 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

This thread is seriously derailed.

#25 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

You need to talk to a moderator about that. :laugh:

#26 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

I hope a moderator breaks this into two threads and moves the Vitamin D info to the Supplements forum. To help start that I am posting an article which came out today in the appropriate place.

Here's a teaser:

The report by the Institute of Medicine on the dietary intake of vitamin D was designed to help clear up confusion, but it hasn't. The report, which was discussed here at the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) 2012 Annual Meeting, states that supplementation levels of 600 to 800 IU/day will meet the needs of 97% of the population. However, there is little consensus on this...

For the rest go here: http://www.longecity...ersy-continues/

Now back to C60 as hair tonic: does anyone have any before and after photos to share?

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Yes, this thread got pretty far off track with the vitamin D discussion. Your moderator (ahem) is guilty as hell... Anyway, I moved the discussion into the thread that smithx just created.

#28 g-5

• 10 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Any other members have observed c60 influence on hair regrowth ?

#29 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

I've been putting a single drop of c60oo on my receding hair line twice weekly for the past few weeks. But all I have to show for it is a greasy receding hair line.

• like x 1

#30 bocor

• 119 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

hey mpe...are you takin c60 internally if so for how long? any change from internal use on thinninG?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hair, c60

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users